Registration in the Netherlands

If you are going to live in the Netherlands, you must inform your municipality of your arrival. You also need to register with the municipality if you will spend at least 4 of the 6 months in the Netherlands. Have you never lived in the Netherlands before (or was the last time before 1994)? Then it's required to make an appointment at the newcomers' office at the city hall.


The conditions for registration are the following:

  • You have the Dutch nationality, or
  • You have a residence permit for a certain or indefinite period
  • You wil stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months

Documents drawn up in a language other than English, German, French or Spanish must be translated to Dutch by a sworn interpreter/translator.

How to register

You apply in person. please make an appointment at the Stadswinkel via telephone number 14 0492.

Please be aware that due to measurements taken to limit the impact of the coronavirus, opening hours of the Stadswinkel are limited. Until further notice, the opening hours are:

Monday: 12.00 - 19.00
Tuesday till Friday: 09.00 - 16.00

At this time, appointments can only be made to:

- register a birth
- register a death
- apply for an emergency passport or ID cart (only when you are travelling before the 15th of april)
- apply for a driving license (when valid for less than a month)

We urge you to postpone your appointment in case you are showing health complaints that can be linked to the coronavirus (for instance: nose colds, coughing or fever)

To register we need the following:

  • A valid passport / ID
  • Proof that you have a house/room to live. For example a lease contract or approval from the main resident whom you will be living with
  • If your nationality is from outside the European Union, we need proof of legitimate residence. You can apply this at the IND
  • Are you a resident from Aruba, Curaçao, St-Maarten, Bonaire, St-Eustatius or Saba? Then we need proof of your de-registration
  • Original documents from your home country, in relation to yourself and your children. For example a birth certificate, marriage certificate or divorce certificate

More information