When you pass your practical driving test, you need to apply for a driving licence at the municipality. For this, you need to make an appointment. You pay when submitting your application. The driving licence will be ready for you after 5 working days.
Make an appointment
We urge you to postpone your appointment in case you are showing health complaints that can be linked to the coronavirus (for instance: nose colds, coughing or fever)
The most important conditions for getting a driving license are:
- The CBR has given you an approval for driving
- You lived in the Netherlands for at least 185 days in the past year.
- You apply for you license within 3 years after you passed you examination.
Do you want to exchange a foreign driving license? Then more conditions apply. Go to the website of the RDW for more information.
To apply you need:
- Valid proof of ID
- Your old driving license, if you want to renew or replace your driving license
- A passport photo that meets the requirements
Costs and terms
The costs for a driving license are €41,- (rate 2021).
After 5 working days you can pick up the new driving license. Do you need it sooner? Than it's possible to submit an expedited application. If you submit an expedited application before 14.00 hrs, the driving license will be ready the next working day. The additional costs for an expedited application are €34,10 (rate 2021).You can pay this when submitting you application.