Applying for Dutch citizenship
There are 3 ways to become a Dutch citizen:
- Automatically by birth (if one of your parents was a Dutch citizen when you were born) or by adoption or acknowledgement in the Netherlands.
- Via the option procedure: a short and simple procedure to become a Dutch citizen.
- If you do not qualify for the option procedure, you can become a Dutch citizen through naturalisation.
Becoming a Dutch citizen by option
The quickest and cheapest way is the option procedure. This procedure takes 3 months. With the option procedure you must submit an application to your municipality. Whether you can go through the option procedure depends on your personal circumstances.
- More information regarding the option procedure can be found on the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
Becoming a Dutch citizen by naturalisation
If you do not qualify for the option procedure, you can become a Dutch citizen through naturalisation. This procedure can take up to 1 year. The naturalisation request must also be submitted through your municipality. The IND will then assess your application. If you meet all the conditions, the King decides to grant the Dutch nationality.
It depends on your personal situation:
- For which procedure you are eligible
- Which documents you need to submit
- Whether you have to give up your current nationality
- Whether you need to obtain the civic integration diploma
We are happy to give you personal advice. You can fill in the form via the 'Online regelen' button below or contact us by phone via the telephone number 14 0492. You will receive a letter stating which procedure you are eligible for and what is important to you, within two weeks.
The costs for an option procedure are:
- for one person: € 187,00
- for married couples or registered partners: € 319,00
- for each minor for whom you also apply immediately: € 21.00
The costs for an application for naturalization are:
- for one person: € 881,00
- for married couples or registered partners: € 1.124,00
- for each minor naturalizing with their parent(s): € 130,00
Are you stateless? Or do you have an asylum residence permit (documents III or IV)? Then the naturalization costs are:
- for one person: € 655,00
- for married couples or registered partners: € 899,00
You have to pay the cost when you submit your application. You will not get any money if your application is refused.
Objection and appeal
If you disagree with the decision regarding your option application, you can object. This should be done within 6 weeks. Do you then disagree with the decision on the notice of objection? You can then appeal to the court.
You can object to the decision regarding your naturalization application at the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND).
- Information about becoming a Dutch citizen
- Information about the option procedure
- Information about the naturalisation procedure
- Information about legalisation of foreign documents, per country
- List of countries where you do not need a residence permit for option/naturalisation
- Information about the naturalisation ceremony
- What will change if I acquire Dutch nationality?
- Renouncing your current nationality by naturalisation