A death should be registered in the city where the person has died. Most of the time the undertaker takes care of this, but you can also do this yourself.

Register a death

When someone died, the municipality where the person died must be informed. This also applies to a stillborn child. Usually the funeral service provider does this on behalf of the relatives. You can report a death via "eHerkenning" via the 'apply online' link below. If you do not have "eHerkenning", you can also make an appointment at the Stadswinkel.


You may transport a deceased from abroad to the Netherlands or from the Netherlands to abroad. You need a death certificate for this purpose. In addition, you will need a 'laissez-passer' or 'leave for burial or combustion'.