Moving abroad

You need to notify the municipality that you will be relocating to a different country, if you are planning to stay abroad for at least 8 months out of the next 12 months. This does not have to be in a consecutive period. You report this to the municipality up to 5 days in advance before leaving. Even if you keep your house in the Netherlands, you still have to report the move to the municipality.


If everyone from the same address is moving abroad, you can submit a report in writing. This can be done by:

  • yourself, if you are 16 or older
  • by parent, guardian or caregiver for minor children
  • cohabiting spouses / registered partners for each other
  • cohabiting parents and adult children for each other

Are there people who will be staying at your current address in the Netherlands? Then, the people who are moving abroad must personally report to the municipality. This also applies to minors. Declaration of departure by an authorized representative is not possible.


You report your emigration at the counter of the Stadswinkel. Make an appointment digitally for this via the 'Make an appointment' button below. The day on which you submit your notification will count as your relocation date. It is not possible to submit a date in the past. 


We urge you to postpone your appointment in case you are showing health complaints that can be linked to the coronavirus (for instance: nose colds, coughing or fever)

This is how you report your relocation abroad: 

  • You go to the municipality or make a report in writing if everyone from the same address moves abroad.
  • You make the report within 5 days before your departure.
  • You pass on:
    • in which country you will reside
    • what your first address is (with city name)
    • the date on which you move
    • a copy of your valid proof of identity  

If you do not make a declaration of emigration, the municipality can impose a fine on you. 

Do you need proof of de-registration?

Request this from an RNI municipality. These municipalities are Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, The Hague, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Westland and Zwolle. 

Are you already abroad? Report your departure to the municipality as soon as possible. This is also possible via the written form. However, you can only report in writing if no one stayed at your current address in the Netherlands.



Submitting your relocation abroad is free. Do you need proof of de-registration? Then you can get it free of charge at the counter in the Stadswinkel.